Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Conversing With the Lord Through the Veil


From time to time course corrections are required. For me those times seem to arrive frequently. Despite my recurring inability to traverse a path without diversion to less meaningful things, I find the Lord gently coaxing me back to narrower ways. How grateful I am for His enduring patience and kindness. He seems never to give up. If He were going to give up, I suppose He would have done it long ago. I love Him and I thank Him.

Recently, I have felt the need for a more solid grounding in foundational bedrock principles that will lead me where I really desire most to go. A few years ago my wandering explorations into truth led to a book. The truths contained in the book guided me to some marvelous and cherished blessings and understanding. But the ultimate objective of the instruction in the book continues to elude me. So, now it is time to go back. In order to go forward it is required that we go back. (This is one of the great truths taught in the book The Second Comforter Conversing with the Lord Through the Veil.) I thought I understood the principle when I once read it a few years ago. Now, because of my errant wanderings, it's time to go back to be reminded again. 

Over time, the true principles and the course set forth in the Second Comforter never changed. In fact they cannot ever change. But I have changed. Following the designated path has brought me so far. Understanding and increased light and truth have resulted to a degree I could not have anticipated when this journey began. The things of God are marvelous and magnificent beyond our paltry ability to comprehend. It is true what Joseph Smith said, even the least saint, (me), can receive and understand the things of God as soon as we are ready for them.

Since this blog is written primarily for you, my children, and a few dear friends and family, I invite you to go back with me to The Second Comforter. I have begun on the path set forth there and found the promised interim results manifested just as promised. But I have begun to realize, we cannot ever be satisfied with interim results and blessings. Though they are magnificent, interim blessings were never intended to be any kind of end. Instead, they are meant to provide sign posts along the way; they are given to instill greater faith for the continuing climb to God.

So, I am going back to the Second Comforter. I am going there in hopes of remembering how it was I arrived there and beyond on the path to begin with. I am going to allow the Lord to show me once again, what is needed and required in order to find His presence. We, (I), cannot be fooled or misled into thinking we can deviate in the least from the path the Lord has set forth. The necessary components of the path are found in The Second Comforter Conversing With the Lord Through the Veil. Gaining knowledge and understanding will not in itself bring us to Him. It is easy to begin to confuse the effort to learn with the necessary requirements of the path. they are not the same thing.

Until we converse with the Lord at the veil, all other attainments, all other knowledge, and understanding, all other good and worthy endeavors and efforts, may become for us only distractions. I am going back hoping to discover where I may have deviated from the only accepted path that ends at His feet. 

Here are some notes I have begun to compile. These are the bedrock foundational principles that will set us off correctly once again. These are not my words. These words come from The Second Comforter Conversing With the Lord Through the Veil. I am going to allow them to guide me where He is. I invite you, my children and dear friends and family to consider where you stand on the path back to His presence. Because I feel resolved, with new determination to continue upward, I want you to feel the same thing. Consider Brother Snuffer's words carefully, then assess your standing and move ahead.

Notes from The Second Comforter Conversing With the Lord through the Veil: (again, these are quotes from the book not my words with the exception of an occasional parenthetical)


·      To receive the second comforter we must allow others who have been so blessed to serve as our guides. Their instructions and testimony need to be accepted and followed.  


·      Heaven will not permit any soul to receive mysteries if they cannot resist revealing them unwisely to others. The constraint that they may be learned but cannot be taught is enforced by withholding them from those who will not abide by this constraint.  


·      The nearer man approaches perfection, the clearer are his views, and the greater his enjoyments, till he has overcome the evils of his life and lost every desire for sin...this is a station to which no man ever arrived in a moment…


·      Like opening a combination lock, unless you have the right sequence and the right information, it is not possible to have the veil open.  (It's not about simply spinning the dial back and forth) 


·      There should be in the mind of the student only one thing to do. There is always only one thing to do. It is the thing most wrong at the moment. Once that is addressed and corrected, then you can move on to the next thing... Then there is still only one thing to do... Never work on three, or thirty, or fifty things at once.


·      Through the ordinances of the gospel you become an heir and a member of Gods family. He comes to visit with members of His family, but not with strangers and foreigners. The rites collectively are adoption rites, through which you are restored to Gods family.


·      The scriptures are accounts written about and by people who have received the second comforter... They tell us what to do... We should be eager to look carefully at what they tell us about how they got there. 


·      The past is forgivable. Even serious sins are forgivable. That's the point o what Christ did. He wants us to recover from our errors... Your own past sins, even serious sins, are no impediment to His power to forgive. 


·      Through the steps of asking, receiving, trusting and acting, we develop stronger faith... Anyone willing to move along with this will grow in light and truth. 


·      Getting light and truth from God is obtained through experiences. It is experiential rather than academic. Feeling comes before seeing, hearing, and touching... Anecdotal proof is what you must be willing to accept throughout this process. Your own experiences are going to be your guide. 


·      It can be a great benefit to have both this worlds learning and still keep the sensitivity to feel what lies behind the veil.       ***There is no veil to our feelings. The veil is to our other senses. But we have learned to trust everything but our feelings…*** (emphasis added) it will be necessary to go back to trusting your feelings from a time long ago in childhood 


·      Before you are ready to receive the second comforter you will encounter substantial tests of your faith. Of course, you should expect that. Hearts must be broken. That is the only way to get the required "broken heart and a contrite spirit" the Lord demands.


·      How, when, where, and to what extent you will be tested is an individual matter. But a test that will break your heart will certainly come. You must pass through the very valley of the shadow of death, while relying upon the Lord to guide you and provide you the comfort to endure.


He whose presence we seek said it this way: (Revelation 3:)

18  I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

19  As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

20  Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

So, for me, it’s back to the knitting. Stick to the knitting. Stick to the Knitting. My children especially, I invite you to join me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment